I am so excited to finally announce that I’d So Rather Be Reading has opened our first Little Free Library in the tiny Texas town of Vidor. This is the first of three that I have planned and each one will have its own theme and the books will be age specific.
Mailbox 9 3/4 can be found HERE on the Global map (you can find it quickest by searching by our zip code, 77662). This library is obviously Harry Potter themed and is filled with Middle Grade & Children’s books!
If you are not familiar with Little Free Libraries, visit HERE. The theme of this wonderful organization is Take a Book, Share a Book. To date there are over 75,000 Little Free Libraries across the globe and now we have one of our very own!
I saw my first #LFL while visiting my SIL in Daybreak, UT a couple years ago (#32633).
I literally squealed and made my entire family trudge through snow and investigate! I was instantly hooked and knew I wanted (needed) these in our hometown. I think I visited that box at least a dozen times. I had drank the literary KoolAid!
I’ve received a lot of books from publishers and authors over the years and I give a lot of them away but I had always wanted a better way to share a good book. This was it!
When we returned home, I quickly began my Honey Do list– all my great ideas require extensive Honey Do‘s. Don’t worry, I tell him he’s hot stuff and bring him water while he works and makes my little dreams come true.
I had planned to have these up and running quickly. I went around town and scoped out the right spots, got permission and even ordered the official registration plates. And then Hurricane Harvey hit. Our tiny town received over 50 inches, to say it was a tragedy still doesn’t do it justice. Our own Macy Kate lost her home and most over her books! So, I shelved the plans until we were rebuilt and ready. Fast forward two years and…
Obviously, many of you are not physically close and cannot visit our super awesome library, but you can find one near you and support it! Fill it up, visit it, #hashtag it and post important– make getting a new book seem like the coolest event ever! There are always people watching you, let them see you excited about reading.
- The Dulaney family for their support! You gave Mailbox 9 3/4 a home and a good start.
- The Beaumont Enterprise for donating a newspaper stand.
- All the publishers that send us great stories to share.
- Ms. Leger for donating LOADS of books.
- To Tailor Made Stamps for making such an awesome book stamp!
- To The Bluebonnet Nook for designing our stamp image
- To JK Rowling for creating one of the greatest escape, the ultimate world of Wizards!
- FLY GUY to make his debut when we open our Childrens #LFL
- YOUNG ADULT #LFL… we need a location and theme! SHARE YOUR IDEAS!
image sources: littlefreelibrary.org and google.com (fly guy)